12.16.2010

The Treason of Philosophy

The philosophical act is nothing less than a revolutionary call to transcend the world of utility, productivity, and work. The men of business ask "Where can I get this item," or "How can I come to possess this thing that I need for this purpose?" The men of science ask "How can I obtain power over that which I have not made? How can I predict nature and exert my will over it?"

The philosopher asks "Why is there anything at all? Why is there something rather than nothing?" Against the world of utility this question is at least disturbing and at most treasonous. Inasmuch as the modern world sees itself as a world of "workers," a world in which men only know how to conform things to their own will with the power of machines and know-how and inasmuch as men see their own imaginations as the only arbiters of what can or cannot be, philosophy will always stand as the mortal enemy of our world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment